Stem Cells 2
ANAT3231 Cell Biology online lectures from the 2017 course.
Embryonic vs Adult Stem Cells
Embryonic Stem Cell Advantages
- Pluripotency - ability to differentiateinto any cell type.
- Immortal - one cell can supply endless amounts of cells.
- Easily available - human embryos from fertility clinics.
Embryonic Stem Cell Dis advantages
- Unstable - difficult to control differentiation into specific cell type.
- Immunogenic - potential immuno rejection when transplanted into patients.
- Teratomas - tumor composed of tissues from 3 embryonic germ layers.
- Ethical Controversy - unethical for those who believes that life begins at conception.
2012 Course Content
Lectures: Cell Biology Introduction | Cells Eukaryotes and Prokaryotes | Cell Membranes and Compartments | Cell Nucleus | Cell Export - Exocytosis | Cell Import - Endocytosis | Cell Mitochondria | Cell Junctions | Cytoskeleton Introduction | Cytoskeleton - Intermediate Filaments | Cytoskeleton - Microfilaments | Cytoskeleton - Microtubules | Extracellular Matrix 1 | Extracellular Matrix 2 | Cell Cycle | Cell Division | Cell Death 1 | Cell Death 2 | Signal 1 | Signal 2 | Stem Cells 1 | Stem Cells 2 | 2012 Revision | Development
Laboratories: Introduction to Lab | Microscopy Methods | Preparation/Fixation | Immunochemistry | Cell Knockout Methods | Cytoskeleton Exercise | Confocal Microscopy | Microarray Visit | Tissue Culture 1 | Tissue Culture 2 | Stem Cells Lab | Stem Cells Analysis
|2012 Projects: Group 1 | Group 2 | Group 3 | Group 4 | Group 5 | Group 6 | Group 7 | Group 8 | Group 9|
Dr Mark Hill 2015, UNSW Cell Biology - UNSW CRICOS Provider Code No. 00098G