- Course Timetable currently under revision for 2017 (notice removed when complete)
Course commences Week 2 the timetable for the upcoming 2017 course is currently in preparation. Course Lectures and Laboratories are updated until date of presentation. Current link may not reflect the completed final presented content.
All course timetable clashes should initially be referred to the SOMS student advisor (Dean Lovett, Room G27, Biosciences Building). Other course enquiries should be directed to the course coordinator (Dr Mark Hill, Room 221, Wallace Wurth West, email@example.com).
- Lecture 1 - Monday 3:00 PM Wallace Wurth LG02
- Lecture 2 - Tuesday 12:00 PM Wallace Wurth LG02 (Note updated time)
- Laboratory - Thursday 11:00 AM - 1:00 PM Wallace Wurth East G07
- Examinations Period 10 Jun to 27 Jun
- ANAT 3231 Theory examination date (provisional) TBA
- It is intended that supplementary exams for the School of Medical Sciences in Semester 1, 2016 will be held in the week TBA.
- Good Friday - Friday, 25 Mar 2016
- Easter Monday - Monday, 28 Mar 2016
- Anzac Day - Monday 25 April 2016
- Queen's Birthday - Monday 13 June 2016
|Lecture||Online Link||Essential Cell Biology (3rd edn)|
|1||Cell Biology Introduction||Chapter 1 Introduction to Cells pp1-38|
|2||Cells Eukaryotes and Prokaryotes||Chapter 1 Introduction to Cells pp1-38|
|3||Cell Membranes and Compartments||Chapter 11 Membrane Structure pp363-386, Chapter 12 Membrane Transport 387-424, Chapter 15 Intracellular Compartments and Transport 495-530|
|4||Cell Nucleus||Chapter 5 DNA and Chromosomes pp171-196|
|5||Cell Export - Exocytosis||Chapter 15 pp514-518|
|6||Cell Import - Endocytosis||Chapter 15 pp522-529|
|7||Cell Mitochondria||Chapter 14 Energy Generation in Mitochondria and Chloroplast pp453-492|
|8||Cell Junctions||Chapter 20 Cellular Communities:Tissues, Stem Cells, and Cancer - Epithelial Sheets and Cell Junctions pp700-705|
|9||Cytoskeleton Introduction||Chapter 17 Cytoskeleton pp571-608|
|10||Cytoskeleton - Intermediate Filaments||Chapter 17 Cytoskeleton - Intermediate Filaments pp571-576|
|11||Cytoskeleton - Microtubules||Chapter 17 Cytoskeleton - Microtubules pp577-589|
|12||Cytoskeleton - Microfilaments||Chapter 17 Cytoskeleton - Microfilaments pp590-598|
|13||Extracellular Matrix 1||Chapter 20 Cellular Communities:Tissues, Stem Cells, and Cancer - Extracellular Matrix and Connective Tissues pp690-699|
|14||Extracellular Matrix 2||Chapter 20 Cellular Communities:Tissues, Stem Cells, and Cancer - Extracellular Matrix and Connective Tissues pp690-699|
|15||Cell Cycle||Chapter 18 The Cell Division Cycle - Overview of the Cell Cycle pp609-624|
|16||Cell Division||Chapter 18 The Cell Division Cycle - Mitosis pp625-634, Cytokinesis pp634-638|
|17||Cell Death 1||Chapter 18 The Cell Division Cycle - Control of Cell Number pp638-647|
|18||Cell Death 2||Chapter 18 The Cell Division Cycle - Control of Cell Number pp638-647|
|19||Signal 1||Chapter 16 Cell Communication pp531-570|
|20||Signal 2||Chapter 16 Cell Communication pp531-570|
|21||Stem Cells 1||Chapter 20 Cellular Communities:Tissues, Stem Cells, and Cancer pp707-715|
|22||Stem Cells 2||Chapter 20 Cellular Communities:Tissues, Stem Cells, and Cancer pp707-715|
|23||Development||Chapter 20 Cellular Communities:Tissues, Stem Cells, and Cancer - Tissue Maintenance and Renewal pp707-709|
- ANAT3231 Cell Biology course homepage.
- Glossary list of cell biology terms, with brief descriptions and links to relevant course lectures and laboratories.
- Honours projects in the School of Medical Sciences
- you will find more information on Cell Biology research carried out in the School of Medical Sciences on the indivual Research Interest Sites of Lecturers and Guest Lecturers of this course.
2016 Course Content
Lectures: Cell Biology Introduction | Cells Eukaryotes and Prokaryotes | Cell Membranes and Compartments | Cell Nucleus | Cell Export - Exocytosis | Cell Import - Endocytosis | Cytoskeleton Introduction | Cytoskeleton - Microfilaments | Cytoskeleton - Microtubules | Cytoskeleton - Intermediate Filaments | Cell Mitochondria | Cell Junctions | Extracellular Matrix 1 | Extracellular Matrix 2 | Cell Cycle | Cell Division | Cell Death 1 | Cell Death 2 | Signal 1 | Signal 2 | Stem Cells 1 | Stem Cells 2 | Development | 2016 Revision
Laboratories: Introduction to Lab | Microscopy Methods | Preparation/Fixation | Cell Knockout Methods | Cytoskeleton Exercise | Immunochemistry | Project Work | Confocal Microscopy | Tissue Culture | Stem Cells Lab | Microarray Visit
Dr Mark Hill 2015, UNSW Cell Biology - UNSW CRICOS Provider Code No. 00098G