- Course Timetable currently under revision for 2014
Course commences Week 2 the timetable for the upcoming 2013 course is currently in preparation. Course Lectures and Laboratories are updated until date of presentation. Current link may not reflect the completed final presented content.
All course timetable clashes should initially be referred to the SOMS student advisor (Carmen Robinson, Room G27, Biosciences Building). Other course enquiries should be directed to the course coordinator (Dr Mark Hill, Room G20, Wallace Wurth Building, firstname.lastname@example.org).
- Lecture 1 - Tuesday 3:00 PM Wallace Wurth LG02
- Lecture 2 - Thursday 2:00 PM Mathews Theatre D
- Laboratory - Thursday 3:00 PM - 5:00 PM Wallace Wurth 106
- Draft Timetable subject to contributor revision.
Mid-year recess 2 Jul to 28 Jul
- Examinations Period 13 Jun to 30 Jun
- Theory examination (provisional) TBA
- It is intended that supplementary exams for the School of Medical Sciences in Semester 1, 2013 will be held in the week TBA.
- Good Friday - Friday 18 April
- Easter Monday - Monday 21 April
- Anzac Day - Friday 25 April
- Queen's Birthday - Monday 9 June
- Links: UNSW Academic Calendar 2014
|Lecture||Online Link||Essential Cell Biology (3rd edn)|
|1||Cell Biology Introduction||Chapter 1 Introduction to Cells pp1-38|
|2||Cells Eukaryotes and Prokaryotes||Chapter 1 Introduction to Cells pp1-38|
|3||Cell Membranes and Compartments||Chapter 11 Membrane Structure pp363-386, Chapter 12 Membrane Transport 387-424, Chapter 15 Intracellular Compartments and Transport 495-530|
|4||Cell Nucleus||Chapter 5 DNA and Chromosomes pp171-196|
|5||Cell Export - Exocytosis||Chapter 15 pp514-518|
|6||Cell Import - Endocytosis||Chapter 15 pp522-529|
|7||Cell Mitochondria||Chapter 14 Energy Generation in Mitochondria and Chloroplast pp453-492|
|8||Cell Junctions||Chapter 20 Cellular Communities:Tissues, Stem Cells, and Cancer - Epithelial Sheets and Cell Junctions pp700-705|
|9||Cytoskeleton Introduction||Chapter 17 Cytoskeleton pp571-608|
|10||Cytoskeleton - Intermediate Filaments||Chapter 17 Cytoskeleton - Intermediate Filaments pp571-576|
|11||Cytoskeleton - Microtubules||Chapter 17 Cytoskeleton - Microtubules pp577-589|
|12||Cytoskeleton - Microfilaments||Chapter 17 Cytoskeleton - Microfilaments pp590-598|
|13||Extracellular Matrix 1||Chapter 20 Cellular Communities:Tissues, Stem Cells, and Cancer - Extracellular Matrix and Connective Tissues pp690-699|
|14||Extracellular Matrix 2||Chapter 20 Cellular Communities:Tissues, Stem Cells, and Cancer - Extracellular Matrix and Connective Tissues pp690-699|
|15||Cell Cycle||Chapter 18 The Cell Division Cycle - Overview of the Cell Cycle pp609-624|
|16||Cell Division||Chapter 18 The Cell Division Cycle - Mitosis pp625-634, Cytokinesis pp634-638|
|17||Cell Death 1||Chapter 18 The Cell Division Cycle - Control of Cell Number pp638-647|
|18||Cell Death 2||Chapter 18 The Cell Division Cycle - Control of Cell Number pp638-647|
|19||Signal 1||Chapter 16 Cell Communication pp531-570|
|20||Signal 2||Chapter 16 Cell Communication pp531-570|
|21||Stem Cells 1||Chapter 20 Cellular Communities:Tissues, Stem Cells, and Cancer pp707-715|
|22||Stem Cells 2||Chapter 20 Cellular Communities:Tissues, Stem Cells, and Cancer pp707-715|
|23||Development||Chapter 20 Cellular Communities:Tissues, Stem Cells, and Cancer - Tissue Maintenance and Renewal pp707-709|
- ANAT3231 Cell Biology course homepage.
- Glossary list of cell biology terms, with brief descriptions and links to relevant course lectures and laboratories.
- Honours projects in the Department of Anatomy
- you will find more information on Cell Biology research carried out in the School of Medical Sciences on the indivual Research Interest Sites of Lecturers and Guest Lecturers of this course.
- Dr Mark Hill - local page
- Dr Thomas Fath
- Dr Stephen Palmer
- Prof Peter Gunning
- Dr Galina Schevzov
2013 Course Content
Lectures: Cell Biology Introduction | Cells Eukaryotes and Prokaryotes | Cell Membranes and Compartments | Cell Nucleus | Cell Export - Exocytosis | Cell Import - Endocytosis | Cell Mitochondria | Cell Junctions | Cytoskeleton Introduction | Cytoskeleton - Intermediate Filaments | Cytoskeleton - Microfilaments | Cytoskeleton - Microtubules | Extracellular Matrix 1 | Extracellular Matrix 2 | Cell Cycle | Cell Division | Cell Death 1 | Cell Death 2 | Signal 1 | Signal 2 | Stem Cells 1 | Stem Cells 2 | 2013 Revision | Development
Laboratories: Introduction to Lab | Microscopy Methods | Preparation/Fixation | Immunochemistry | Cell Knockout Methods | Cytoskeleton Exercise | Confocal Microscopy | Tissue Culture | Stem Cells Lab | Microarray Visit | Lab
Dr Mark Hill 2015, UNSW Cell Biology - UNSW CRICOS Provider Code No. 00098G