Cell Import - Endocytosis
- 1 Cell Import - Endocytosis
- 2 Objectives
- 3 References
- 4 Images
- 5 Movies
- 6 2017 Course Content
Cell Import - Endocytosis
His slides will be added to this page when available.
The content below is for information purposes only and contains links to the online textbooks. This will not be used for the lecture presentation.
We will study this topic at the level of the cellular components and organelles involved in the process: endosomes, lysosomes, peroxisomes, transport vesicles, Golgi apparatus and endoplasmic reticulum.
Visualization of Rab9-mediated vesicle transport from endosomes to the trans-Golgi in living cells. Barbero P, Bittova L, Pfeffer SR. J Cell Biol. 2002 Feb 4;156(3):511-8. Epub 2002 Feb 4. PMID 11827983 GFP-Rab9-bearing organelles and vesicles display bidirectional motility along microtubules. Speed is 5 times actual.
Essential Cell Biology
- Chapter 14 Intracellular Compartments and Transport, Endocytic Pathways p472
Molecular Biology of the Cell
Alberts, Bruce; Johnson, Alexander; Lewis, Julian; Raff, Martin; Roberts, Keith; Walter, Peter New York and London: Garland Science; c2002
- Molecular Biology of the Cell 4th ed. - Part 1 Chapter 12
- Figure 13-57. Figure 13-1. The endocytic and biosynthetic-secretory pathways
Molecular Cell Biology
Lodish, Harvey; Berk, Arnold; Zipursky, S. Lawrence; Matsudaira, Paul; Baltimore, David; Darnell, James E. New York: W. H. Freeman & Co.; c1999
- Molecular Cell Biology - Chapter 17. Protein Sorting: Organelle Biogenesis and Protein Secretion
- 17.9. Receptor-Mediated Endocytosis and the Sorting of Internalized Proteins
- Lysosomes Are Acidic Organelles That Contain a Battery of Degradative Enzymes
The Cell- A Molecular Approach
Cooper, Geoffrey M. Sunderland (MA): Sinauer Associates, Inc.; c2000
- The Cell - A Molecular Approach - III. Cell Structure and Function Chapter 12 The Cell Surface
- Endocytosis and Lysosome Formation
Search Online Textbooks
- "endocytosis" Molecular Biology of the Cell | Molecular Cell Biology | The Cell- A molecular Approach | Bookshelf
- "lysosome" Molecular Biology of the Cell | Molecular Cell Biology | The Cell- A molecular Approach | Bookshelf
- "autophagy" Molecular Biology of the Cell | Molecular Cell Biology | The Cell- A molecular Approach | Bookshelf
- PubMed is a service of the U.S. National Library of Medicine that includes over 18 million citations from MEDLINE and other life science journals for biomedical articles back to 1948. PubMed includes links to full text articles and other related resources. PubMed
- PubMed Central (PMC) is a free digital archive of biomedical and life sciences journal literature at the U.S. National Institutes of Health (NIH) in the National Library of Medicine (NLM) allowing all users free access to the material in PubMed Central. PMC
- Online Mendelian Inheritance in Man (OMIM) is a comprehensive compendium of human genes and genetic phenotypes. The full-text, referenced overviews in OMIM contain information on all known mendelian disorders and over 12,000 genes. OMIM
- Entrez is the integrated, text-based search and retrieval system used at NCBI for the major databases, including PubMed, Nucleotide and Protein Sequences, Protein Structures, Complete Genomes, Taxonomy, and others Entrez
- "endocytosis" PubMed reviews | PubMed all articles | PMC reviews | PMC all articles | OMIM | Entrez all databases
- "receptor-mediated endocytosis" PubMed reviews | PubMed all articles | PMC reviews | PMC all articles | OMIM | Entrez all databases
- "clathrin" PubMed reviews | PubMed all articles | PMC reviews | PMC all articles | OMIM | Entrez all databases
- "lysosome" PubMed reviews | PubMed all articles | PMC reviews | PMC all articles | OMIM | Entrez all databases
- "autophagy" PubMed reviews | PubMed all articles | PMC reviews | PMC all articles | OMIM | Entrez all databases
- The endocytic matrix. Scita G, Di Fiore PP. Nature. 2010 Jan 28;463(7280):464-73. Review. PMID: 20110990
- Endocytosis and signalling: intertwining molecular networks. Sorkin A, von Zastrow M. Nat Rev Mol Cell Biol. 2009 Sep;10(9):609-22. Review. PMID: 19696798
- PMID: 15030567
- Endosome to trans-Golgi traffic is vesicular Coexpression of fluorescent Rab9 and Rab7 by Barbero et al. revealed that these two late endosome Rabs occupy distinct domains within late endosome membranes. Rab9 is present on endosomes that display bidirectional microtubule-dependent motility, and Rab9-positive transport vesicles (rather than tubules) can be seen moving along microtubule tracks and fusing with the trans-Golgi network.
- Recycling of endosomes by Arf6 Activation of nucleotide exchange on Arf6 causes an increase in both membrane internalization and the return of the resultant structures to the plasma membrane. However, when Brown et al. block Arf6 in its GTP-loaded ("on") state, this results in accumulation of endosome-derived vacuoles.
- Actin tails form behind motile endosomes and lysosomes Taunton et al. document the formation of actin comet tails (red) behind motile endosomes and lysosomes. The tails may help the organelles move around the cell, and influence the construction of the cytoskeleton.
- Lysosomes repair the plasma membrane When cells are injured, calcium rushes in and prompts exocytosis of membranes to repair the gap. Jaiswal et al. confirm that the repairing membranes are from lysosomes.
- Vam6p clusters and fuses lysosomes Caplan et al. find that human Vam6p promotes clustering and then fusion of lysosomes.
2017 Course Content
Lectures: Cell Biology Introduction | Cells Eukaryotes and Prokaryotes | Cell Membranes and Compartments | Cell Nucleus | Cell Export - Exocytosis | Cell Import - Endocytosis | Cytoskeleton Introduction | Cytoskeleton - Microfilaments | Cytoskeleton - Microtubules | Cytoskeleton - Intermediate Filaments | Cell Mitochondria | Cell Junctions | Extracellular Matrix 1 | Extracellular Matrix 2 | Cell Cycle | Cell Division | Cell Death 1 | Cell Death 2 | Signal 1 | Signal 2 | Stem Cells 1 | Stem Cells 2 | Development | 2017 Revision
Dr Mark Hill 2015, UNSW Cell Biology - UNSW CRICOS Provider Code No. 00098G