ANAT3231 Projects 2017
This is information on the Cell Biology group project topics available for student project work commencing 2017. To begin working on your online project Editing Basics describes simple editing. Both these links are on every page left side navigation menu.
Below are the groups to which students have been randomly assigned.
|Group 1||Group 2||Group 3||Group 4|
The main topic this year will be "Cells of the Pancreas". Once your group has agreed on the topic, add this as a heading to the project page before Lab 3. No two groups can have the same cell topic.
| Mouse Pancreas Development Cell Lineage
The following cell types were collected: E11 and E15 pancreatic progenitors, E15 acinar cells, E15 endocrine progenitors (EP), E15, E17, P1, P15, 8–12 week beta cells, P1 and 8–12 week alpha cells, and adult duct cells.
Cells of the Pancreas
- The Endocrine Pancreas - pancreatic islets (islets of Langerhans)
- The Exocrine Pancreas
- Nussey S, Whitehead S. Endocrinology: An Integrated Approach. Oxford: BIOS Scientific Publishers; 2001. Chapter 2, The endocrine pancreas. Available from: https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/books/NBK30/
- Pandol SJ. The Exocrine Pancreas. San Rafael (CA): Morgan & Claypool Life Sciences; 2010. Available from: https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/books/NBK54128/ doi: 10.4199/C00026ED1V01Y201102ISP014
Groups - Topics
Group Assessment Criteria
- The key points relating to the topic that your group allocated are clearly described.
- The choice of content, headings and sub-headings, diagrams, tables, graphs show a good understanding of the topic area.
- Content is correctly cited and referenced.
- The wiki has an element of teaching at a peer level using the student's own innovative diagrams, tables or figures and/or using interesting examples or explanations.
- Evidence of significant research relating to basic and applied sciences that goes beyond the formal teaching activities.
- Relates the topic and content of the Wiki entry to learning aims of cell biology.
- Clearly reflects on editing/feedback from group peers and articulates how the Wiki could be improved (or not) based on peer comments/feedback. Demonstrates an ability to review own work when criticised in an open edited wiki format. Reflects on what was learned from the process of editing a peer's wiki.
- Evaluates own performance and that of group peers to give a rounded summary of this wiki process in terms of group effort and achievement.
- The content of the wiki should demonstrate to the reader that your group has researched adequately on this topic and covered the key areas necessary to inform your peers in their learning.
- Develops and edits the wiki entries in accordance with the above guidelines.
ANAT3231 Project Archive
2016 Blood Cells: Group 1 - Megakaryocytes | Group 2 - Red Blood Cells | Group 3 - Lymphocyte B-Cell | Group 4 - Natural Killer Cells | Group 5 - Mast Cells | Group 6 - Lymphocyte T-Cell | Group 7 - Eosinophils
2015 Extracellular Matrix: Group 1 - Small Leucine-Rich Proteoglycans | Group 2 - Integrins | Group 3 - Elastic Fibres | Group 4 - Fibronectin | Group 5 - Laminin | Group 6 - Collagen | Group 7 - Basement Membrane
2013 Cell Division: Group 1 - Regulation of Cell Division | Group 2 - Cytokinesis | Group 3 - Golgi Apparatus | Group 4 - Spindle Apparatus | Group 5 - Nuclear Envelope | Group 6 - Anaphase | Group 7 - Mitochondria
2012 Signaling: Group 1 - Testosterone | Group 2 - Vascular Endothelial Growth Factor | Group 3 - Extrinsic Apoptosis | Group 4 - Notch | Group 5 - Wnt-Beta catenin | Group 6 - Insulin | Group 7 - G protein (beta adrenergic) | Group 8 - Leukocyte Extravasation | Group 9 - p53
2010 Cell Methods: Group 1 - Fluorescent-PCR | Group 2 - RNA Interference | Group 3 - Immunohistochemistry | Group 4 - Cell Culture | Group 5 - Electron Microsopy | Group 6 - Confocal Microscopy | Group 7 - Monoclonal Antibodies | Group 8 - Microarray | Group 9 - Fluorescent Proteins | Group 10 - Somatic Cell Nuclear Transfer
2017 Course Content
Lectures: Cell Biology Introduction | Cells Eukaryotes and Prokaryotes | Cell Membranes and Compartments | Cell Nucleus | Cell Export - Exocytosis | Cell Import - Endocytosis | Cytoskeleton Introduction | Cytoskeleton - Microfilaments | Cytoskeleton - Microtubules | Cytoskeleton - Intermediate Filaments | Cell Mitochondria | Cell Junctions | Extracellular Matrix 1 | Extracellular Matrix 2 | Cell Cycle | Cell Division | Cell Death 1 | Cell Death 2 | Signal 1 | Signal 2 | Stem Cells 1 | Stem Cells 2 | Development | 2017 Revision
Dr Mark Hill 2015, UNSW Cell Biology - UNSW CRICOS Provider Code No. 00098G