2014 Lab 5
Cell Knockout Methods
Dr Anthony Kee Slides
The following set of slides will form part of Dr Anthony Kee's presentation for this lab on Knockout Methods. There will also be an associated individual assessment based upon this lab.
Lab 5 Individual Assessment
- Complete the in-class assessment item on knock-out techniques. Hand in to practical class coordinator with name and student number.
- Molecular Biology of the Cell 4th edition. Alberts B, Johnson A, Lewis J, et al. New York: Garland Science; 2002. Studying Gene Expression and Function
- Molecular Cell Biology 4th edition. Lodish H, Berk A, Zipursky SL, et al. New York: W. H. Freeman; 2000 Section 8.5 Gene Replacement and Transgenic Animals
- Developmental Biology 6th edition. Gilbert SF. Sunderland (MA): Sinauer Associates; 2000. Transgenic cells and organisms
Search Pubmed Databases: term=knockout mice
External Links Notice - The dynamic nature of the internet may mean that some of these listed links may no longer function. If the link no longer works search the web with the link text or name.
- The Nobel Prize Physiology or Medicine 2007 awarded jointly to Mario R. Capecchi, Sir Martin J. Evans and Oliver Smithies for their discoveries of principles for introducing specific gene modifications in mice by the use of embryonic stem cells.
- NIH List of Available Knockout Mice | Factsheet
- International Knockout Mouse Consortium IKMC | Research using IKMC products
- NC3Rs Mouse databases
2014 Course Content
Lectures: Cell Biology Introduction | Cells Eukaryotes and Prokaryotes | Cell Membranes and Compartments | Cell Nucleus | Cell Export - Exocytosis | Cell Import - Endocytosis | Cell Mitochondria | Cell Junctions | Cytoskeleton Introduction | Cytoskeleton - Intermediate Filaments | Cytoskeleton - Microfilaments | Cytoskeleton - Microtubules | Extracellular Matrix 1 | Extracellular Matrix 2 | Cell Cycle | Cell Division | Cell Death 1 | Cell Death 2 | Signal 1 | Signal 2 | Stem Cells 1 | Stem Cells 2 | 2013 Revision | Development | 2014 Revision
Laboratories: Introduction to Lab | Microscopy Methods | Preparation/Fixation | Immunochemistry | Cell Knockout Methods | Cytoskeleton Exercise | Confocal Microscopy | Tissue Culture | Microarray Visit | Stem Cells Lab
Dr Mark Hill 2015, UNSW Cell Biology - UNSW CRICOS Provider Code No. 00098G