2014 Lab 11
- 1 Microarray Laboratory
- 1.1 Introduction
- 1.2 Lab 11 Individual Assessment
- 1.3 Links
- 1.4 References
- 1.5 2014 Course Content
Please meet me first at the new Wallace Wurth teaching lab (W08).
- Cover any additional revision issues before the theory exam.
- Complete the course CATEI. This will be an online form requiring you to log on to MyUNSW.
The second half of this laboratory will be a visit to the UNSW The Ramaciotti Centre for Gene Function Analysis.
- Enclosed footwear will be required.
- You will have the opportunity to see the practical aspects of the new methods of cell analysis.
- Have a look through the centre's website before you visit and the other links to information on microarrays.
Lab 11 Individual Assessment
There will be an individual assessment to be completed during tour.
Please ensure your name and student number are on the form and that you hand it in at the end of the class.
Dr Helen Speirs
The Ramaciotti Centre Level 1, room 131 or 137 Biological Sciences Building (D26)
After the facility tour the practical class has finished.
- The Ramaciotti Centre for Gene Function Analysis
- NCBI Microarray Factsheet
- Stanford School of Medicine Microarray Database
- EMBL Microarray Informatics at the EBI
- Davidson College DNA Microarray Methodology - Flash Animation
Essential Cell Biology
- Essential Cell Biology Chapter
Molecular Biology of the Cell
Alberts, Bruce; Johnson, Alexander; Lewis, Julian; Raff, Martin; Roberts, Keith; Walter, Peter New York and London: Garland Science; c2002
- Methods - Studying Gene Expression and Function
- Microarrays Monitor the Expression of Thousands of Genes at Once
- Figure 8-62. Using DNA microarrays to monitor the expression of thousands of genes simultaneously
Molecular Cell Biology
Lodish, Harvey; Berk, Arnold; Zipursky, S. Lawrence; Matsudaira, Paul; Baltimore, David; Darnell, James E. New York: W. H. Freeman & Co.; c1999
Madame Curie Bioscience Database
Chapters taken from the Madame Curie Bioscience Database (formerly, Eurekah Bioscience Database) Eurekah.com and Landes Bioscience and Springer Science+Business Media; c2009
- The Use of Microarray Analysis to Molecularly Characterize Muscle Development
- Analysis of microarray data to discover new tumor classification and to build gene predictors for cancer diagnosis
- Identification of Biologically Relevant Networks
Search Online Textbooks
- PubMed is a service of the U.S. National Library of Medicine that includes over 18 million citations from MEDLINE and other life science journals for biomedical articles back to 1948. PubMed includes links to full text articles and other related resources. PubMed
- PubMed Central (PMC) is a free digital archive of biomedical and life sciences journal literature at the U.S. National Institutes of Health (NIH) in the National Library of Medicine (NLM) allowing all users free access to the material in PubMed Central. PMC
- Online Mendelian Inheritance in Man (OMIM) is a comprehensive compendium of human genes and genetic phenotypes. The full-text, referenced overviews in OMIM contain information on all known mendelian disorders and over 12,000 genes. OMIM
- Entrez is the integrated, text-based search and retrieval system used at NCBI for the major databases, including PubMed, Nucleotide and Protein Sequences, Protein Structures, Complete Genomes, Taxonomy, and others Entrez
- "microarray" Entrez all databases
- "DNA sequencing" Entrez all databases
- "gene analysis" Entrez all databases
<pubmed>19233918</pubmed> <pubmed>19212718</pubmed> <pubmed>11212888</pubmed> <pubmed>10447504</pubmed> <pubmed>9675914</pubmed>
2014 Course Content
Lectures: Cell Biology Introduction | Cells Eukaryotes and Prokaryotes | Cell Membranes and Compartments | Cell Nucleus | Cell Export - Exocytosis | Cell Import - Endocytosis | Cell Mitochondria | Cell Junctions | Cytoskeleton Introduction | Cytoskeleton - Intermediate Filaments | Cytoskeleton - Microfilaments | Cytoskeleton - Microtubules | Extracellular Matrix 1 | Extracellular Matrix 2 | Cell Cycle | Cell Division | Cell Death 1 | Cell Death 2 | Signal 1 | Signal 2 | Stem Cells 1 | Stem Cells 2 | 2013 Revision | Development | 2014 Revision
Laboratories: Introduction to Lab | Microscopy Methods | Preparation/Fixation | Immunochemistry | Cell Knockout Methods | Cytoskeleton Exercise | Confocal Microscopy | Tissue Culture | Microarray Visit | Stem Cells Lab
Dr Mark Hill 2015, UNSW Cell Biology - UNSW CRICOS Provider Code No. 00098G