Add an alphabetical list of links to the chemical MSDSs that you will require for your project. MSDS information can be quite comprehensive, so I suggest that you begin first with a simple search and link to the NIOSH Pocket Guide to Chemical Hazards. There are similar Australian resources and the original chemical supplier will also provide an MSDS with the chemical (label new chemicals with the date received and file MSDS).
All containers of hazardous substances supplied to, used in, or handled in the workplace must be appropriately labelled to identify the substance and allow it to be used properly. Suppliers have primary responsibility for labelling all hazardous substances supplied for use at work. There may be numerous containers of hazardous substances which need to be re-labelled in accordance with the criteria which is described on the following pages.
- UNSW has a 9 page PDF Labelling of Hazardous Substances Guideline to ensure that hazardous substances and dangerous
goods are properly labelled so that the substances can be identified and used safely.
- SOMS is also currently developing a protocol to help interpret this guideline at the school level.
List Format: Common name - (Synonyms & Trade Names) - chemical structure - Links NIOSH Pocket Guide to Chemical Hazards | PubChem | Hazardous Substances Data Bank (HSDB) | Wolfram Links.
- Acetone (Dimethyl ketone, Ketone propane, 2-Propanone) (CH3)2CO Pocket Guide - Acetone | PubMed-Acetone | Wolfram
- Chloroform MSDS
- Dimethyl Sulphoxide (DMSO, Dimethyl Sulfoxide) (CH3)2SO International Chemical Safety Card DMSO | PubChem - Dimethyl Sulfoxide | HSDB | Wolfram
- Dulbecco's Modified Eagle's Medium (DMEM) Chem Alert MSDS
- Ethyl alcohol (Alcohol, Ethanol, EtOH, Grain alcohol) CH3CH2OH Pocket Guide - Ethyl alcohol | PubChem - Ethanol | Wolfram
- Formamide (Methanamide, Carbamaldehyde) MSDS
- Glycerol (Glycerin (anhydrous); Glycerol; Glycyl alcohol; 1,2,3-Propanetriol; Trihydroxypropane) pocket guide | Wolfram
- Penicillin-Streptomycin MSDS
- Propanol (Propan-2-ol, isopropyl alcohol, isopropanol) MSDS
- Paraformaldehyde (Polyoxymethylene, metaformaldehyde, paraform, formagene) MSDS
- Sodium Hydroxide (Caustic soda, Lye, Soda lye, Sodium hydrate) NaOH Pocket Guide | PubChem | Hydroxide Wolfram | Chem Alert MSDS for 1M NaOH
- Sodium Dodecyl Sulphate (Sodium lauryl sulfate; Duponol; Dodecyl sodium sulfate; Sulfuric acid, monodecyl ester, sodium salt) MSDS
- TRIzol TRIzol MSDS PDF
Cryoprotective Agents - Substances that provide protection against the harmful effects of freezing temperatures.
Solvents - Liquids that dissolve other substances (solutes), generally solids, without any change in chemical composition.