ANAT3231 Cell Biology
This page will contain Cell Biology material available for student study commencing Semester 1 2017.
- 1 2017
- 2 Assessment
- 3 Course Online Support
- 4 Textbook
- 5 Project Archive
- 6 Internal Links
- 7 External Links
- 8 Previous Course Information
- 9 2017 Course Content
Course commences Week 2 the timetable for the upcoming 2014 course is currently in preparation. Overall course information should be similar to that for earlier years shown below.
All course timetable clashes should initially be referred to the SOMS student advisor (Dean Lovett, Room G27, Biosciences Building). Other course enquiries should be directed to the course coordinator (Dr Mark Hill, Room G20, Wallace Wurth Building).
- Lecture 1 - Wednesday 11;00 AM Wallace Wurth LG02
- Lecture 2 - Thursday 1:00 PM Wallace Wurth LG03
- Laboratory - Tuesday 3:00 PM - 5:00 PM Wallace Wurth East G06
- 50% - Theory Exam
- 30% - Individual Assessment
- 20% - Group Assessment
- Based on the course lecture content
- set in the UNSW exam period
- Presentation and assessment of research articles
- Lecture and Lab exercises
- Based on a group project prepared throughout the semester
Course Online Support
|The course is supported online by a Wiki resource that allows student access to lecture and practical class materials, as well as the current location for Group project work carried out throughout the semester.|
|UNSW Australia uses Moodle for course learning management. Moodle course|
|Easter Holiday Long Weekend||14 Apr – 17 Apr|
|Anzac Day public holiday||25 Apr|
|Queen's Birthday public holiday||12 Jun|
- Links: UNSW Academic Calendar
Supplementary ANAT3231 Theory Exam
The supp exam will be of the same format as the final exam but a different paper.
Essential Cell Biology (4th ed.) Alberts, etal. 2014, is recommended for this course and page references are given in lectures. This textbook is a simplified (shortened) version of Molecular Biology of the Cell, listed below.
Online Cell Biology textbooks are also available from NCBI Bookshelf.
- Molecular Biology of the Cell Alberts, Bruce; Johnson, Alexander; Lewis, Julian; Raff, Martin; Roberts, Keith; Walter, Peter New York and London: Garland Science; c2002 Bookshelf Link
- Molecular Cell Biology 4th ed., Lodish, Harvey; Berk, Arnold; Zipursky, S. Lawrence; Matsudaira, Paul; Baltimore, David; Darnell, James E., New York: W. H. Freeman & Co., 1999. The Cell- A Molecular Approach Bookshelf Link
- The Cell - A Molecular Approach 2nd ed., Cooper, Geoffrey M., Sunderland (MA): Sinauer Associates, Inc., 2000. Bookshelf Link
To see more about textbooks, journals and references see the ANAT3231 References.
- ANAT3231 Projects 2016
- ANAT3231 Projects 2015
- ANAT3231 Projects 2014
- ANAT3231 Projects 2013
- ANAT3231 Projects 2012
- ANAT3231 Projects 2011
- Test Project
- Course Timetable
- ANAT3231 References
- Cell Biology Images links to an index of images by method and cell component.
- Glossary list of cell biology terms, with brief descriptions and links to relevant course lectures and laboratories.
- Movies links to movies demonstrating concepts and findings in Cell Biology.
- People in Cell Biology a short list of cell biology researchers with external interviews or biographies.
Previous Course Information
- 2016 Course Outline
- 2015 Course Handout PDF Version
- 2014 Course Handout PDF Version
- 2013 Course Handout PDF Version
- 2012 Course Handout PDF Version
2017 Course Content
Lectures: Cell Biology Introduction | Cells Eukaryotes and Prokaryotes | Cell Membranes and Compartments | Cell Nucleus | Cell Export - Exocytosis | Cell Import - Endocytosis | Cytoskeleton Introduction | Cytoskeleton - Microfilaments | Cytoskeleton - Microtubules | Cytoskeleton - Intermediate Filaments | Cell Mitochondria | Cell Junctions | Extracellular Matrix 1 | Extracellular Matrix 2 | Cell Cycle | Cell Division | Cell Death 1 | Cell Death 2 | Signal 1 | Signal 2 | Stem Cells 1 | Stem Cells 2 | Development | 2017 Revision
Dr Mark Hill 2015, UNSW Cell Biology - UNSW CRICOS Provider Code No. 00098G